Ajay Maken Resigns as Delhi Congress Chief Day After Phoolka Quit AAP, Sparks Alliance Buzz
The Delhi Congress chief's indication that he may resign comes a day after HS Phoolka quit the Aam Aadmi Party.
In a tweet on Friday morning, Maken, the Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee chief, thanked party president Rahul Gandhi and the media for supporting him after the drubbing in 2015 Delhi Assembly elections.
2015 विधान सभा के उपरान्त-— Ajay Maken (@ajaymaken) January 4, 2019
बतौर @INCDelhi अध्यक्ष-पिछले 4 वर्षों से,दिल्ली कांग्रेस कार्यकर्ताओं द्वारा,कांग्रेस कवर करने वाली मीडिया द्वारा,एवं हमारे नेता @RahulGandhi जी द्वारा,मुझे अपार स्नेह तथा सहयोग मिला है।
इन कठिन परिस्थितियों में यह आसान नहीं था! इसके लिए ह्रदय से आभार!
Both Maken and Phoolka were said to be strongly against any alliance between their respective parties for the upcoming general elections.
Sources said the two parties are working out the possibility of a “broader alliance” in Delhi, Punjab and Haryana for the Lok Sabha elections. While Sanjay Singh is leading negotiations from the AAP, former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit is heading talks on behalf of the Congress, sources added.
In his resignation letter, Maken has cited ill-health as the official reason, a PTI report said.
The 54-year-old leader had taken over as the Congress's Delhi unit chief four years ago, after the party lost the 2015 assembly elections.
Recommended For You
- At 'PM Narendra Modi' Trailer Launch, Vivek Oberoi Responds Brilliantly When Asked If He'd Join Politics
- IPL 2019: Kohli and Chhetri Bond During RCB Training Camp
- Decoding The Voluntary Code of Ethics Binding FB, Twitter, WhatsApp, TikTok During 2019 Polls
- Hey Siri, New Apple AirPods Are Priced From Rs 14,900; H1 Chip And Longer Battery Life On Board
- K-pop Star Jung Joon-young Arrested for Secret Sex Videos Scandal
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s