'My Voice Not Being Heard': Cong Leader Savitribai Phule Quits Party, Says Will Float Her Own Outfit
A prominent Scheduled Caste leader, Phule had resigned from the basic membership of BJP on the death anniversary of BR Ambedkar last year, alleging that the ruling party 'was trying to create divisions in the society'.
File photo of Savitribai Phule.
Former BJP leader Savitribai Phule, who joined the Congress in March this year, quit the grand old party on Thursday, saying her voice was not being heard.
Phule was a part of the BJP before she switched to the Congress. A prominent Scheduled Caste leader, she had resigned from the basic membership of BJP on the death anniversary of BR Ambedkar last year, alleging that the ruling party "was trying to create divisions in the society".
She has also been associated with Mayawati's BSP. However, she joined BJP in 2000 and contested the Assembly elections in 2002, 2007 and 2012. She managed to win the 2012 elections and later the 2014 Lok Sabha election. She fell out with the saffron party after the Supreme Court struck down the stringent provisions of the Atrocities Act.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Cardi B Looks Like Nemesis Nicki Minaj After Surgery, Feel Trolls
- Nick Jonas Fans Can't Stop Stanning Over Food Stuck in His Teeth During Grammy Gig
- Shaheer Sheikh Throws Fun Gala for Yeh Rishtey Hain Pyaar Ke Cast
- PUBG Mobile: Best Weapons to Choose and Full List of Weapon Stats
- AI That Studied Photos Say Women May Look Up to 3 Years Younger With Nose Surgery