Nitish Kumar Resigns: Why Mahagathbandhan Was Doomed From the Beginning
Right at the beginning, when Nitish Kumar and Lalu Prasad Yadav came together in 2015, there were doubts whether the alliance could go the distance.
File photo of RJD chief Lalu Yadav with JD (U) leader Nitish Kumar.
With the resignation of Nitish Kumar as Bihar chief minister, the mahagathbandhan has fallen apart in dramatic fashion.
However, right at the beginning, when Kumar and Lalu Prasad Yadav came together in 2015, there were doubts whether the alliance could go the distance.
Here is why the mahagathbandhan was doomed from the very beginning:
- While Kumar’s USP is his clean image, Lalu yadav himself is a convicted politician. His son and deputy CM Tejashwi Yadav along with other family members are facing various corruption charges.
- They both joined hands along with the Congress to oppose and stop BJP. There was no positive agenda.
- While Lalu represents old mandal politics based entirely on the caste identity, Kumar stands for mandal plus development. Both were never at ease.
- in the past in 2005,Kumar had joined hands with the BJP to trounce Lalu. The itch was never erased in each-other’s mind.
- Senior RJD leaders were continuously attacking Kumar, taunting him on being CM despite JD (U) getting less MLAs than the RJD.
- Kumar was always made to feel that he was CM under Lalu’s favour.
- Lalu’s recent contacts with jailed don Shahabuddin, crosses several red lines.
- Lalu’s family members including Rabri Devi were keen on Tejaswi becoming CM.
- Kumar is an OBC leader, and was conscious of Tejaswi’s growing influence among the OBC caste base. Resignation is a weapon to destroy Tejaswi’s rise.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ali Fazal Calls Meeting with Al Pacino 'Best Gift of 2019'
- Here's Why Aishwarya Rai is a Good Choice for the Hindi Version of Maleficent 2
- Copycat Art For Katrina Kaif's Make-up Line?
- FASTag Will Soon be Mandatory For Your Car: This is How The Digital Payment Tag Works
- There is a Strong Medical Case For Using Masks And Air Purifiers Against Pollution