Polling in South Contai Assembly Bypoll Peaceful, 66% Turnout
Polling in South Contai Assembly seat in East Midnapore in West Bengal was conducted peacefully apart from a few incident of clashes on Sunday.
Image for representation
Kolkata: Polling in South Contai Assembly seat in East Midnapore in West Bengal was largely conducted peacefully apart from a few incidents of clashes on Sunday.
Five candidates including Chandrima Bhattacharya of TMC, Sourindra Mohan Jana of BJP, Uttam Pradhan of CPI (M) and Nabakumar Nandi of Congress are contested the seat.
The by-election is being held after TMC MLA Dibyendu Adhikari was elected to the Lok Sabha from Tamluk seat.
Speaking to New18, TMC candidate Chandrima said, “No one can defeat us. People are very happy with Mamata Banerjee’s hard work. I am going to win this seat with record margin.”
BJP candidate Sourindra Mohan Jana alleged that Trinamool Congress goons threatened BJP supporters and prevented them from casting their votes at Daudpur. He said, “After record win in Uttar Pradesh, people now understand that it’s only BJP (under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi) can bring development in the country. In West Bengal too people are now seriously considering BJP as a political alternative.”
There are eight gram panchayats and a municipality in South Contai Assembly. Only one gram panchayat is controlled by the left, rest are with Trinamool Congress.
The poll result will be declared on April 13, 2017.
Recommended For You
- The 10 Year Challenge on Facebook: Intelligent Algorithms Aside, Are we The Product, Again?
- PUBG Mobile 0.10.5 Update Goes Live: Adds Royale Pass Season 5, MK47 Mutant But no Zombie Mode
- Secret to Male Sexual Stamina is Veggies? PETA's New Ad on 'Toxic Masculinity' is a Total Facepalm
- Rakul Preet Singh Gives Befitting Reply to Online Hater Who Slut-shamed Her for Her Outfit
- Kareena Kapoor Slays Denim-on-denim Look for Ishq FM
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s