Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind is the BJP’s nominee for upcoming presidential election. In a tweet, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Kovind, who is likely to file his papers on June 23, will make an “exceptional” president. While the NDA constituents have backed the pick, among the opposition parties the Congress and Trinamool Congress are upset that they were informed after the BJP arrived at a decision.
As it happened.
Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!
*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Jun 19, 2017 11:50 pm (IST)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweets on Ram Nath Kovind:
- I am sure Shri Ram Nath Kovind will make an exceptional President and continue to be a strong voice for the poor, downtrodden and marginalised
- Shri Ram Nath Kovind, a farmer's son, comes from a humble background. He devoted his life to public service and worked for poor and marginalised
- With his illustrious background in the legal arena, Shri Kovind's knowledge and understanding of the Constitution will benefit the nation
Jun 19, 2017 10:38 pm (IST)
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik speaks on BJP's presidential pick:
- We support the nomination Ram Nath Kovind
- The position of President is above politics and the BJD wants to maintain that stand
Jun 19, 2017 10:36 pm (IST)
Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind, who is the BJP-led NDA's nominee for the post of President of India, reaches BJP president Amit Shah's residence in New Delhi.
Jun 19, 2017 7:18 pm (IST)
AINRC has a strength of eight members in the 30 member Puducherry Assembly and AINRC is the first party here to come out with its announcement to back the NDA nominee in the poll.
Jun 19, 2017 7:16 pm (IST)
In a press release, leader of the Opposition and AINRC founder N Rangasamy said:
- AINRC extends its full support to Kovind for his win in the presidential election
- Kovind, born in a modest agriculturist family, had dedicated himself in public life and had been serving the nation
Jun 19, 2017 7:14 pm (IST)
The opposition AINRC in Puducherry on Monday extended support to NDA's presidential candidate Ram Nath Kovind.
Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm (IST)
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik speaks on BJP's presidential pick:
- BJD will decide on NDA's presidential candidate after discussion with senior party leaders
Jun 19, 2017 6:17 pm (IST)
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar speaks on BJP's presidential pick:
- Ram Nath Kovind is a gentleman
- He is highly educated
- This is a right choice
Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu speaks on BJP's presidential pick:
- Ram Nath Kovind has been politics for a long time and he is aslo a accomplished lawyer
- He understands issues of the state and nation
- We have spoken to the Opposition including Sonia Gandhi and Manmohan Singh
- We are yet to speak to the DMK...I hope they will support our candidate
Jun 19, 2017 6:10 pm (IST)
Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari speaks on BJP's presidential pick:
- Ram Nath Kovind has done a lot for the society as a politician and a lawyer
- I am sure that under his leadership the country will continue in its path of development
Jun 19, 2017 6:09 pm (IST)
JD(U) leader KC Tyagi speaks on BJP's presidential pick:
- It is too early to say that we will be supporting Ram Nath Kovind
- we are yet to meet other parties...but we have been associated with Ram Nath Kovind...he has been a good governor for Bihar
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on BJP's presidential pick:
- Opposition will meet on 22nd June and only then they can announce their decision
- There are other big Dalit leaders in India
- Ram Nath Kovind was leader of Dalit Morcha of BJP, so they have made him candidate
- We are not against Ram Nath Kovind's nomination...It would have been better if the BJP had taken the Opposition into confidence
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar speaks on BJP's presidential pick:
- As far as support is concerned, can't say anything right now. It is too early to say
- Happy to know that Kovind ji has been chosen as presidential candidate
- Will speak to Sonia Gandhi
Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut speaks to CNN-News18 on BJP's presidential pick.
- We don't see the caste of the candidate...There should be a capable person who should sit in Rashtrapati Bhavan
- BJP should have consulted all its partners before naming NDA candidate...But they didn't do it...They didn't have any name on Saturday. They suddenly thought of this name today...Sena doesn't do politics of caste or religion
- BJP came up with the presidential candidate within one day...They may not want to follow democratic process in presidential polls...Amit Shah did not give any names on Saturday during the 75-minute meeting with Uddhav Thackeray
Jun 19, 2017 4:31 pm (IST)
CPI(M) says Opposition will also put up own candidate for presidential poll.
Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm (IST)
Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind, who is the BJP’s candidate for the next President of India, is likely to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi today at 7pm.
Jun 19, 2017 3:58 pm (IST)
“The opposition parties are meeting on June 22 and will then take a call. We will decide after consulting all parties,” said CPI (M) General Secretary Sitaram Yechury.
Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm (IST)
Neighbours of Ram Nath Kovind celebrate outside his home
Reacting to BJP’s Presidential nominee, Mamata Banerjee said, “In order to support someone we must know the person. Who is this candidate? The candidate should have been someone who would be useful for the country. The opposition parties are meeting on the June 22, only after that I can tell whether there will be a contest. Let the opposition decide. I am not saying that the Bihar governor is unfit to be President.”
BJP has done it again! There were months of speculation. News channels had even moved reporters outside the Ministry of External Affairs, expecting Sushma Swaraj will be declared as the BJP nominee for Presidential polls.
Jun 19, 2017 3:38 pm (IST)
I thank PM Modi as well as Amit Shah to give UP's Ram Nath Kovind this opportunity to serve the nation. I appeal to all political parties of UP to support son of UP, Ram Nath Kovind for president, raising above politics: UP CM Yogi Adityanath
Jun 19, 2017 3:37 pm (IST)
In first comments in the BJP’s presidential pick, Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad says, “We don’t want to comment now. We have always maintained that all non-NDA parties should arrive at a consensus candidate. It was decided that all the political parties will arrive at a decision together. Sonia Gandhi was authorised to make a small group. The group was made and a meeting was also held. But amid all this, the BJP took the decision of talking to opposition…. Then they decided the nominee and informed our leaders.”
The BJP had told us that they will inform us before picking the name. But they informed us after, says Azad.
Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm (IST)
It shows this government is committed for the poor people. Only anti Dalit party will not support Ram Nath Kovind: Ram Vilas Paswan