Qadian Election Results 2017: Fatehjang Singh Bajwa of Congress Wins
INC's Fatehjang Singh Bajwa has won in Qadian defeating SAD's Sewa Singh and AAP's Kanwal Preet Singh.
Indian National Congress's Fatehjang Singh Bajwa has won in Qadian defeating SAD's Sewa Singh and AAP's Kanwal Preet Singh.
The main candidates from Qadian were Mohinder Singh (BSP), Kanwal Preet Singh (AAP), FatehJang Singh Bajwa (INC) and Sewa Singh (SAD).
In 2012, the state had voted in favour of the BJP-Akali Dal combine, bringing Parkash Singh Badal back to power.
Qadian is the International headquarters of the Ahmadiyya community. It is the stronghold of Bajwa clan. Fatehjang Singh Bajwa is the brother of former Punjab Congress chief and incumbent RS member Pratap Bajwa.
This time the ruling combine faced off against a resurgent Congress and the debutant Aam Aadmi Party. The state was the first to vote among the five states that went to the polls this time. Elections to the 117-seat Punjab assembly were held on February 4.
Exit polls have predicted a drubbing for the BJP-Akali Dal combine in the state with the Congress and the AAP predicted to be neck-and-neck.
For live Punjab assembly election results click here
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Zareen Khan Recounts Casting Couch Horror, Says Director Asked Her to 'Rehearse Kissing Scene'
- Want a 1Gbps Broadband Connection For Your Home? That Will be Rs 1,549 Onwards
- 33,000 People Want Oxford Dictionary to Change its Definition of 'Woman'. Here's Why.
- Mi Smart Water Purifier Launched in India at Rs 11,999: Here's How it Works
- Tamil Nadu's New EV Policy Seeks Full Road Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles Until 2022