Ram Nath Kovind, BJP's Presidential Pick, Resigns as Bihar Governor
Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind has resigned from the gubernatorial post.
New Delhi: Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind has resigned from the gubernatorial post.
The resignation follows his nomination as the ruling NDA's presidential candidate.
President Pranab Mukherjee has accepted the resignation of Kovind as the Governor of Bihar, a communique issued by the Rashtrapati Bhavan said on Tuesday.
West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi will discharge the functions of the Governor of Bihar, in addition to his own duties, it said.
The BJP yesterday announced the name of 71-year-old Kovind, a low-profile Dalit leader and a two-term BJP Rajya Sabha member, as its nominee for the president's post.
The presidential election is scheduled for July 17.
Mukherjee completes his five-year term on July 24.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- The Royal Enfield Twin Endurance Render Puts All The Right Ideas Into Our Heads
- Paul Pogba, Twitter And Racism: An Uneasy Relation Between Footballers And Fans
- Metz M55G2 4K Android TV Review: So Good, it Should Cost a Lot More Than Rs 42,990
- First Details of The OnePlus TV Confirmed: It Will Have a 55-Inch QLED Panel
- Android 10 Confirmed to Arrive on All Nokia Smartphones