Ram Nath Kovind, BJP's Presidential Pick, Resigns as Bihar Governor
Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind has resigned from the gubernatorial post.
New Delhi: Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind has resigned from the gubernatorial post.
The resignation follows his nomination as the ruling NDA's presidential candidate.
President Pranab Mukherjee has accepted the resignation of Kovind as the Governor of Bihar, a communique issued by the Rashtrapati Bhavan said on Tuesday.
West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi will discharge the functions of the Governor of Bihar, in addition to his own duties, it said.
The BJP yesterday announced the name of 71-year-old Kovind, a low-profile Dalit leader and a two-term BJP Rajya Sabha member, as its nominee for the president's post.
The presidential election is scheduled for July 17.
Mukherjee completes his five-year term on July 24.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Aditya Roy Kapur Denies Link Up and Marriage Rumours with Model Diva Dhawan
- Parineeti Chopra Relaxes on Her Maldives Holiday, See Pics
- Street Dancer 3D Box Office Prediction: Remo D'Souza's Dance Film Might Wash Off Varun Dhawan's Kalank
- Akanksha Puri Reportedly Breaks Up with Paras Chhabra, Mammootty is a Ruthless Moneylender in Shylock
- Apple Watch Heart Rate Monitor Detects Another Undiagnosed AFib Case