Seats (2018) 33/59 seats
Andhra Pradesh3/3 seats
Himachal Pradesh1/1 seats
Madhya Pradesh5/5 seats
Uttar Pradesh0/10 seats
West Bengal0/5 seats
Total Strength: 245
Roopa Ganguly Nominated to Rajya Sabha From Navjot Singh Sidhu's Seat
The vacancy had arisen following the resignation of cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu of the Bharatiya Janata Party from the upper house.
BJP Leader Roopa Ganguly. (File picture)
New Delhi: Actor-turned-BJP leader Roopa Ganguly was on Tuesday nominated to the Rajya Sabha, an official statement said.
A Home Ministry release said she had been nominated to the Upper House by President Pranab Mukherjee to fill a vacancy of a nominated member.
The vacancy had arisen following the resignation of cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu of the Bharatiya Janata Party from the Upper House.
Ganguly, who had come into the limelight with her role of Draupadi in television serial Mahabharat, joined BJP in 2015, ahead of the West Bengal assembly elections in 2016 which she contested. She, however, lost from Howrah North to Trinamool Congress candidate and cricketer Laxmi Ratan Shukla.
In the Rajya Sabha, she will be in the company of former cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, actor Rekha, columnist Swapan Dasgupta and BJP leader Subramanian Swamy, who are among the nominated members.
Recommended For You
- 3 Navratra Recipes that are Healthy and Sumptuous
- Live Cricket Score, South Africa vs Australia, 3rd Test Day 2 at Cape Town: Elgar, Rabada Take Proteas Past 300
- CWG 2018: Buoyed by 2017 Success, Srikanth Chases Golden Dream at Gold Coast
- Zaheer Khan, Sagarika Ghatge Reveal Their Untold Moments of Love in This Candid Video
- Lava Z50 Launched as The First Android Oreo (Go Edition) Smartphone: Price, Specifications And More