Dikshit Accuses Army Chief Bipin Rawat of Speaking Like a 'Thug', Then Recants
In a quick U-turn, Dikshit said that he could have "framed his sentence in a careful manner".
Sandeep Dikshit created a storm when he accused Army Chief Bipin Rawat of making statements like a "sadak ka gunda".
New Delhi: Congress leader Sandeep Dikshit created a storm on Sunday when he accused Army Chief Bipin Rawat of making statements like a "sadak ka gunda" (a street thug).
Though, Sandeep Dikshit, in a U-turn, felt it was 'wrong' on his part and sought apology for his remarks.
"I genuinely believe what I said was wrong. So I apologise for it and withdraw my statement," said Dikshit
In a recent interview the Army chief, while speaking about the Kashmir unrest, had suggested that it would have been easier for the armed forces if the protesters were firing weapons instead of throwing stones.
Rawat had said: "In fact, I wish these people instead of throwing stones at us, were firing weapons at us. Then I would have been happy. Then I could do what I (want to do)."
The BJP was quick to take umbrage and expressed its dismay over the use of such words to describe the Army Chief.
"What's wrong with Congress Party? How dare Congress call Indian Army Chief as "Sadak Ka Gunda", tweeted MoS Home Kiren Rijiju.
BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra called it a "shameful statement".
Incidentally, Prakash Karat too in an article said the statement by the Army chief was a needless provocation and was "unbecoming of a senior Army officer."
Recommended For You
- T-shirts Inside Out, No Abuse, Greet People With a Namaste: Special Daily Whatsapp Instructions for Indian Hockey Team
- #SeduceMeIn4Words: This Hashtag Has Got Twitter Looking Out for Mr or Ms Write
- Neha Kakkar, Himansh Kohli Split Just 3 Months After Confirming Their Relationship: Report
- Mowgli Movie Review: Netflix's Version of Rudyard Kipling's Book is Dull
- India Just Beat Australia in Australia and Cricket Fans Cannot Keep Calm
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s