SP Leader Neeraj Shekhar Resigns as Rajya Sabha Member, Likely to Join BJP
Shekhar was a prominent leader of the Samajwadi Party and there is speculation that he might join the BJP.
file image of former SP MP Neeraj Shekhar (Image:twitter/Sumitra Mahajan)
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party leader Neeraj Shekhar on Monday resigned as member of the Rajya Sabha and his resignation was accepted by Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu, sources said.
Shekhar, the son of former Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar, met Naidu and told him he is resigning voluntarily and not under any compulsion, the sources said.
Shekhar was a prominent leader of the Samajwadi Party and there is speculation that he might join the BJP. He first became a member of the Lok Sabha in 2008 in the by-elections for Ballia constituency. The following year, he won again from the same constituency.
He had been a member of the Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh since November 26, 2014, and was due to retire on November 25, 2020.
Recommended For You
- Kapil Sharma's Wife Ginni Chatrath Flaunts Baby Bump on Movie Outing
- PV Sindhu Overcomes Tai Tzu Ying to Reach World Badminton Championships Semi-finals
- Sai Praneeth Guarantees 1st Men's Singles World Championships Medal Since 1983
- Jio Effect: Tata Sky Broadband Offers 6 Months Additional Usage on Annual Plans
- Android 10 Confirmed to Arrive on All Nokia Smartphones