Stage Set for Malappuram Bypoll; LDF Announces Candidate
The ruling CPI(M)-led LDF in Kerala on Saturday announced DYFI leader M B Faizal as its candidate for the byelection to the Malappuram Lok Sabha seat, setting the stage for a triangular contest.
Representative image. (Reuters)
Malappuram: The ruling CPI(M)-led LDF in Kerala on Saturday announced DYFI leader M B Faizal as its candidate for the byelection to the Malappuram Lok Sabha seat, setting the stage for a triangular contest.
Party state secretary Kodiyeri Balakrishnan announced the candidate for the April 12 bypoll after the district committee meeting here.
Faizal is the state committee member of CPI(M)'s youth wing, Democratic Youth Federation of India, said the party.
The LDF would meet on March 20 and the party would form election committees next week, Balakrishnan told reporters.
Indian Union Muslim League general secretary P K Kunhalikutty is the Congress-led UDF opposition's candidate while the BJP has fielded N Sreeprakash in Malappuram.
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of IUML leader and former union minister E Ahmed.
Seventy eight-year-old Ahmed, who passed away on February 1 following cardiac arrest, had won the seat with a margin of over 1.90 lakh votes against his nearest rival in the 2014 polls.
Kunhalikutty is now the member of the Kerala assembly from Vengara and Sreeprakash is the district vice-president of the BJP.
Recommended For You
- Bhagyashree’s Son Abhimanyu Dasani Can’t Feel Any Pain in Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota Trailer
- Intel Foresees a Future of Drone Traffic Jams, And Has Tech to Prevent Them From Colliding
- Two Days Before Asian Games, Leander Paes Pulls Out
- Hyundai India Reveals 1st Design Render of 2018 Santro (AH2) Compact Hatchback
- Asian Games: Indian Coaches Live in Past, Need Foreign Help, Says Yogeshwar