Tamil Nadu Parties Walk Out of Rajya Sabha Over Cauvery Dam Issue
Members of the AIADMK and DMK demands to withdraw permission for detailed feasibility report on the dam were refused by the government following which the MPs staged a walkout.
Rajya Sabha in session (File Photo)
New Delhi: Tamil Nadu parties - AIADMK and DMK - on Friday staged a walkout from Rajya Sabha in protest against the central government's refusal to withdraw permission for a feasibility report on the construction of the Mekedatu dam on Cauvery river in Karnataka.
Meanwhile, Left party members too walked out of the House alleging political violence by the BJP in Kerala following a row over women's entry into Sabarimala temple.
Members of the AIADMK and DMK, which are bitter political rivals in Tamil Nadu, walked out of the House after making separate submissions.
A Navaneethakrishnan (AIADMK) said the central government must withdraw permission for detailed feasibility report (DFR) on the dam.
"They are not conceding to our demand so we are walking out," he said.
After the AIADMK members walked out, Tiruchi Siva (DMK) said the permission to conduct DFR had created confusion.
Demanding revoking of the DFR order, he said he was walking out of the House as a mark of protest. Left party members too were on their feet trying to raise the issue of violence during a BJP-sponsored bandh in Kerala, but Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu did not allow them.
In protest, they walked out of the House. Naidu, who is known for his witty one-liners, remarked that members can "talk out, walk out but not break out."
Recommended For You
- Is Chunky Panday the First Confirmed Celebrity Contestant of Salman Khan's Bigg Boss 13?
- Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro and K20 India Launch: Price, Availability, Features, and More
- People are Using FaceApp's Aging Filter to Compare Selfies with Photos of their Parents
- Arbaaz Khan on Why He Chose to Do Priya Prakash Varrier’s Controversial Film Sridevi Bungalow
- Indonesia Open: PV Sindhu, Kidambi Srikanth Advance to Round 2, Sai Praneeth Out