Thoubal Election Results 2017: Okram Ibobi Singh Wins From Thoubal Constituency
Civil rights activist Irom Chanu Sharmila secured only 90 votes on Saturday, as against Congress Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh's 18,649 votes.
With his fourth consecutive victory, Okram Ibobi Singh has proved that he is the "constant factor" in strife-torn Manipur.
Civil rights activist Irom Chanu Sharmila secured only 90 votes on Saturday, as against Congress Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh's 18,649 votes as the 2017 Manipur Assembly elections results were declared.
The main candidates from Thoubal were Leitanthem Basanta Singh (BJP), Leishangthem Suresh Singh (All India Trinamool Congress) and Irom Sharmila Chanu (PRJA).
Thoubal is constituency No. 31 of the Manipur Legislative Assembly.
In 2012, the Congress had returned to power with a thumping majority, winning 42 seats in the 60-assembly. Three-time Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh this time faced off against anti-AFSPA activist Irom Sharmila.
Most Exit Polls had predicted big wins for the BJP in the northeastern, but only one put it touching the majority mark of 31. One exit poll predicted an absolute win for the Congress, giving it 30-36 seats.
For Manipur election results click here
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Inspired by 50s Puppet Show or Just for Appeal? Internet is Wondering What 'Howdy Modi' Means
- Priyanka Chopra Plans the Perfect Birthday Outing for Nick Jonas
- Google For India: Understanding Google Pay Virtual Tokenized Cards For Secure Payments
- Unidentified, Decomposed Body Found at Nagarjuna's Farmhouse in Telangana
- Cristiano Ronaldo Says Sex with Girlfriend is Better Than his Best Goal