Tinsukia Killings: Derek O'Brien-Led Trinamool Team Reaches Assam to Meet Affected Families
Led by Derek O'Brien, the TMC parliamentary party leader in Rajya Sabha, the team will comprise the party's Lok Sabha MP Mamata Bala Thakur, Rajya Sabha MP Nadimul Haq and MLA Mahua Moitra.
Activists and supporters of Trinamool Congress protest against the killings, in Kolkata on November 2, 2018. (AP Photo/Bikas Das)
Kolkata: A delegation of Trinamool Congress leaders reached Assam on Sunday on Sunday to meet the family members of those who were killed by suspected militants in Tinsukia district.
Led by Derek O'Brien, the TMC parliamentary party leader in Rajya Sabha, the team comprises the party's Lok Sabha MP Mamata Bala Thakur, Rajya Sabha MP Nadimul Haq and MLA Mahua Moitra.
Unidentified gunmen in battle fatigue shot dead five individuals, including three members of a family, near Kheronibari village in Tinsukia district on Thursday night.
On Friday, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee expressed anguish over the killings and said an "environment of violence" was prevailing in the country.
Trinamool Congress MP Abhishek Banerjee demanded a court-monitored inquiry and called for the resignation of Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal over the incident.
A TMC delegation of six MPs had gone to Silchar on August 2 to assess the situation in Assam in the wake of the publication of the complete draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) on July 30 but was stopped at the airport. They were not allowed to leave the airport and were sent back the next day.
Recommended For You
- ICJ Rules in favour of India: A Timeline of Kulbhushan Jadhav Case
- BS-VI Fuel Available at Same Cost as Regular Fuel in Delhi, Prices set to Increase in April 2020
- Concussion Substitutes Likely Make International Debut in Ashes: Report
- World Emoji Day: There are New Differently Abled, Food, Animal and Saree Emojis Coming to Your iPhone
- Big Tech Quartet's Antitrust Hearing Highlights Their Sheer Might and Murky Policies