UP Elections: EC Notice to Gayatri Prasad Prajapati for Planning to Distribute Sarees in Amethi
The Election Commission has issued a show cause notice to an Uttar Pradesh minister for allegedly planning to distribute over 4000 sarees in Amethi during assembly elections, which the poll panel said is violative of the provisions of the model code.
File image of Election Commission office in New Delhi.
New Delhi: The Election Commission has issued a show cause notice to an Uttar Pradesh minister for allegedly planning to distribute over 4000 sarees in Amethi during assembly elections, which the poll panel said is violation of the provisions of the model code.
Acting on a report submitted by the DM and SP of Fatehpur district, the Commission has issued Mulayam Singh Yadav loyalist and UP minister Gayatri Prasad Prajapati a show cause notice asking why action should not be initiated against him for allegedly planning to influence voters through "corrupt" means including "bribery".
He has been asked to respond by January 23 evening.
The report had said that a truck carrying 4452 sarees was seized during a routine checking on January 11. The documents seized showed Prajapati as the receiver of the consignment.
The driver of the vehicle had confessed that the sarees were meant to be distributed during elections in Amethi and were to be delivered to him.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Alia-Ranveer's Gully Boy is Zoya Akhtar's Love Letter to Mumbai's Underbelly
- Renegades' Sensational Turnaround Hands Them Maiden BBL Title
- Kylie Jenner Joins Celery Juice Craze After Sister Kim Kardashian, Here's How it Benefits Your Body
- 'Wanna Friendship?' and 'Go Make Sandwiches': What is it Like to be an Indian Female PUBG Player
- Real-Life Rare Black Panther Found Near 'Wakanda' May Not Be The First Sighting In 100 Years
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s