New Delhi: After a video surfaced on the Internet in which the youth killed in Bulandshahr violence was also seen throwing stones with the mob, questions are being raised as to why his family was paid compensation.
Taking on the doubters, BJP’s Meerut MLA Sangeet Som said that no questions were asked when Akhlaq’s family was given compensation.
“Did you question when Akhlaq’s family was given compensation? He was also an accused... All those involved in Akhlaq’s death should be punished, but remember that cattle carcass was found from his home,” said Sangeet Som.
In 2015, a 50-year-old Mohammad Akhlaq was lynched and his son Danish, 22, was brutally beaten up as punishment for allegedly eating beef on Eid and 'storing it' for later consumption in Dadri's Bishara village.
The Bulandshahr incident took place after allegations of cow slaughter flared up a clash between the villagers and the cops.
A three-minute video that surfaced on Wednesday showed Sumit, 20, pelting stones before getting shot in the chest.
In the video, Sumit does not appear to be a bystander as has been reported so far and as his family claims. He is seen in the video as part of the mob throwing stones at the police.
The Uttar Pradesh government had announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh for Sumit's kin but the fact that his name has been included in the First Information Report has not gone down well with his family members.
Four persons were arrested Tuesday after police lodged an FIR against over two dozen people for rioting and murder in connection with the violence.