Alexander Zverev Downs Richard Gasquet for Montpellier Title
Highly-touted German teenager Alexander Zverev defeated home favourite Richard Gasquet 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 in Montpellier on Sunday to land his second career ATP title.
Alexander Zverev. (Getty Images)
Montpellier: Highly-touted German teenager Alexander Zverev defeated home favourite Richard Gasquet 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 in Montpellier on Sunday to land his second career ATP title.
Third seed Gasquet had lifted the trophy in Montpellier the past two years but was denied a third title in a row by 19-year-old Zverev.
The world number 21, who will partner older brother Mischa in the doubles final, reached the third round of last month's Australian Open before losing to eventual finalist Rafael Nadal in a five-set epic.
Zverev won his first title in St Petersburg last September, beating US Open champion Stan Wawrinka in the final.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Reliance Jio, Airtel And Vodafone Idea Are Trolling Each Other on Social Media
- Disha Vakani's Husband Mayur Pandya on Actress' Return to Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
- Bigg Boss 13: Koena Mitra Accuses Salman Khan of Defending Wrong People
- All-New BMW 3-Series Test Drive Review: Performance in the Lap of Luxury
- Video of Pune Electric Bus Getting Charged Through a Diesel Generator Surfaces, Twitter Has a Field Day