195/288 Seats ((145 Seats to Win)
|Wins + Leads||133||31||31||18||13|
All England Championship: Saina Nehwal Defeated in Quarters
India's campaign at the All England Open Badminton Championships came to an end as Saina Nehwal suffered a defeat in the quarter-finals on Friday.
File image of Saina Nehwal. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Birmingham: India's campaign at the All England Open Badminton Championships came to an end as Saina Nehwal suffered a defeat in the quarter-finals on Friday.
Eighth seed Saina fought hard, but could not avoid a 20-22, 20-22 defeat to South Korean third seed Sung Ji Hyun in 54 minutes.
It was a heartbreaking loss for Saina who came close but could not pull it off at critical junctures at the Barclaycard Arena.
The win was Sung's only second triumph in eight games against 2012 London Olympic bronze medal winner Saina.
Only two Indians — Prakash Padukone and current chief coach P. Gopichand — have managed to win titles at the world's oldest tournament. While Padukone won in 1980, Gopichand's feat came in 2001.
Earlier, sixth seed PV Sindhu could not muster a challenge against Chinese Taipei's top seed Tai Tzu Ying as she lost 14-21, 10-21 in 34 minutes. Tai looked sharper and her delectable drop shots rattled Sindhu throughout the match.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Janhvi Kapoor Steps Out With Price Tag Attached to Outfit
- Soni Razdan and Mukesh Bhatt React to Fake Wedding Card of Alia and Ranbir Kapoor
- BCCI Chief Sourav Ganguly Wore His Team Blazer From 19 Years Ago, Fans Go Gaga Over 'Dada Swag'
- Sara Ali Khan's Bikini Pics from Sri Lankan Getaway Are Proof of Beachside Vacay Done Right
- India vs South Africa | Happy to Make Teams Dance to Our Tunes: Shami