Amit Panghal, Manish Kaushik Assure India of Medals at Boxing World Championships
For the first time more than one boxer from India will win a medal at Boxing World Championships as Amit Panghal and Manish Kaushik reached semi-finals.
Amit Panghal and Manish Kaushik reached semi-finals of World Boxing Championships. (Photo Credit: BFI)
Yekaterinburg (Russia): India's Manish Kaushik (63kg) and Amit Panghal (52kg) on Wednesday reached the semi-finals in their respective weight categories and thus assured themselves of a medal each at the ongoing men's World Boxing Championships in Yekaterinburg, Russia.
India have won only four medals in the history of the Worlds so far and this will be the first time that more than one boxer from the country will be winning a medal at the same edition.
Second-seeded Panghal, who is the reigning Asian champion, beat Philippines' Carlo Paalam 4-1 in the quarter-finals. Commonwealth Games silver medallist Kaushik, on the other hand, beat Brazil's Wanderson de Oliveira 5-0 by a unanimous decision to assure himself of a medal.
India have never won more than one bronze medal at any of the men's World Championships before. Kaushik and Panghal's results have already made this India's best performance thus far.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Inside Kapil Sharma, Ginni Chatrath's Baby Shower Party
- Reliance Jio Says India’s Monthly Data Usage is More Than 9GB Per Subscriber
- Hrithik Roshan, Sussanne Khan Step Out Together for Sunday Brunch with Kids, See Pics
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 14 Written Update: Salman Khan Eliminates Koena Mitra on Weekend Ka Vaar
- Neymar Gets Injured Again, Limps Out of Brazil's Friendly Against Nigeria