Australian Open 2017: Mattek-Sands and Safarova Win Women's Doubles Title
Second seeds Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova took out the Australian Open women's doubles title on Friday to be crowned Grand Slam champions for a fourth time.
Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova won the 2017 Australian Open Women's Doubles title (Getty Images)
Melbourne: Second seeds Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova took out the Australian Open women's doubles title on Friday to be crowned Grand Slam champions for a fourth time.
The American-Czech pairing battled past 12th-seeded Andrea Hlavackova, also from the Czech Republic, and China's Peng Shuai 6-7 (4/7), 6-3, 6-3 on Rod Laver Arena.
Mattek-Sands and Safarova got the decisive break in the fourth game of the deciding set to go 3-1 up after Hlavackova sent down a double fault.
There was no looking back, with Mattek-Sands clinching the title with a volley as they jumped for joy and then celebrated with a dance routine in front of the trophy.
It was their fourth major title together, and ninth overall, after winning at Melbourne and Roland Garros in 2015 and at the US Open last year.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Pati Patni Aur Woh Movie Review: Kartik-Bhumi-Ananya Promise Plenty Laughs
- 'Wish Indians were Baggage!': Twitter Hails 'Polite' Luggage That Wait for Others to Pass
- Thief Calls Houseowner 'Kanjoos' in a Note after He Returns Empty-Handed
- Apple iPhone in 2021 Might Launch Without Any Ports: Analysts
- Former Mumbai Cricketer Robin Morris Arrested Over Alleged Kidnapping: Report