Australian Open 2017: Mattek-Sands and Safarova Win Women's Doubles Title
Second seeds Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova took out the Australian Open women's doubles title on Friday to be crowned Grand Slam champions for a fourth time.
Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova won the 2017 Australian Open Women's Doubles title (Getty Images)
Melbourne: Second seeds Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova took out the Australian Open women's doubles title on Friday to be crowned Grand Slam champions for a fourth time.
The American-Czech pairing battled past 12th-seeded Andrea Hlavackova, also from the Czech Republic, and China's Peng Shuai 6-7 (4/7), 6-3, 6-3 on Rod Laver Arena.
Mattek-Sands and Safarova got the decisive break in the fourth game of the deciding set to go 3-1 up after Hlavackova sent down a double fault.
There was no looking back, with Mattek-Sands clinching the title with a volley as they jumped for joy and then celebrated with a dance routine in front of the trophy.
It was their fourth major title together, and ninth overall, after winning at Melbourne and Roland Garros in 2015 and at the US Open last year.
Recommended For You
- IPL Auction: The Complete List of Players Sold in Jaipur
- Tech And Auto Awards 2018 Winners: Apple iPhone XS Max is The Undisputed Smartphone of The Year
- Wish I Were from Pakistan: Sonu Nigam Takes a Jibe at Music Industry for 'Ignoring' Indian Singers
- Tech And Auto Awards 2018 Winners: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro is the Best Budget Smartphone of The Year
- Deepika Spills Beans On Her First Date With Ranveer, Says 'Won't Forget That Moment'
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s