Australian Open 2017: Roger Federer Masterclass Floors Mischa Zverev
Seventeen-time grand slam champion Roger Federer made his way into the semi-final of the Australian Open after a straight sets win over giant killer Mischa Zverev.
Roger Federer (Getty Images)
Melbourne: Seventeen-time grand slam champion Roger Federer made his way into the semi-final of the Australian Open after a straight sets win over giant killer Mischa Zverev.
The Swiss ace was at his sublime best as he gave Zverev a lesson in serve and volley tennis, destroying his opponent 6-1, 7-5, 6-2 to set up a last four clash with compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka.
Zverev, who had entered the quarters after beating world no 1 Andy Murray in four sets in the fourth round, was expected to give Federer a tough time, but instead it was Federer who turned the clock back to produce a vintage masterclass.
Chasing his 18th grand slam title, and first since 2012, the 35-year-old Federer neutered his left-handed German opponent's serve-and-volley game to win the first set in just 19 minutes.
Zverev did try to make a comeback in the match in the second set but Federer was in no modd to take his foot off the accelerator and it was the Swiss master's 65th winner that sent him into his 41st grand slam semi-final.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- It's 3 Idiots Reunion as Mona Singh Joins Aamir Khan-Kareena Kapoor Starrer Laal Singh Chaddha
- Nayanthara Celebrates Birthday with Boyfriend Vignesh Shivan in New York
- Once Abandoned Dog is Now Assisting Railway Force Personnel to Warn Commuters Against Footboard Traveling
- Internet's Favourite Singer to Trolls' Easiest Target: Can We Leave Ranu Mondal Alone?
- Salman Khan Consoles an Overwhelmed Saiee Manjrekar During Dabangg 3 Promotions