Australian Open 2017: Sania Mirza Enters Mixed Doubles Quarters
Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza is through to the mixed doubles quarterfinal of the Australian Open along with her partner Ivan Dodig on Tuesday with a 2-6, 6-3, 10-6 win over Alexander Peya and Zheng Saisai.
Sania Mirza and Ivan Dodig are through to the mixed doubles quarter finals at the 2017 Australian Open (Getty Images)
Melbourne: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza is through to the mixed doubles quarterfinal of the Australian Open along with her partner Ivan Dodig on Tuesday with a 2-6, 6-3, 10-6 win over Alexander Peya and Zheng Saisai.
The result means Sania Mirza will be and Dodig will take on Rohan Bopanna and Canada’s Gabriela Dabrowski, who beat Lukasz Kubot and Chan Yung-jan 6-4, 5-7, 10-3 earlier in the day to ensure their entry into the last eight.
Mirza and Dodig were far from their best as they committed 19 unforced errors as compared to 17 by Peya and Zheng and that led to the Indo-Croat pair to lose the first set 2-6.
But the second seeds roared back into the match by taking the next set 6-3 and then holding their nerves to prevail in the tie-breaker in the decider.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- The Hysterical Animals that Won the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2019
- Marathi Singer Geeta Mali Dies in Road Accident, Husband Seriously Injured
- Ranveer Singh Nailing Kapil Dev's 'Natraj Shot' Has the Internet Hooked
- Venice Regional Council Floods Minutes After Rejecting Steps to Combat Climate Change
- Meet Duo, the Two-faced Kitten That Defied All the Odds Despite its Medical Condition