Australian Open: Bushfire Disasters Gives Controversial Kyrgios Perspective, Medvedev Subdues Tiafoe
Australian Open 2020: Nick Kyrgios has been on his best behaviour since the start of the tennis season after bushfire crisis wrecked havoc in his homeland.
Nick Kyrgios (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Melbourne: Nick Kyrgios Tuesday said Australia's bushfire disaster had given him perspective and focus, making him realise there were more important things than getting mad on a tennis court.
Long a polarising figure for his on-court antics, the enigmatic 24-year-old has won new fans for his efforts to mobilise support for victims of the deadly blazes, and he was welcomed at the Australian Open by huge roars.
He thrived in the Melbourne Arena atmosphere, grinding down Italian Lorenzo Sonego 6-2, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (1) to book a second round berth.
"I was just really excited to get out here. Obviously a pretty emotional couple of months for all of us, so I just wanted to come out and put on a good performance," said the Australian, who has never gone beyond the last eight at a Major.
"This is my favourite court in the world... I feel super-comfortable. You guys are the best. I feel the support."
Kyrgios said ahead of the tournament he was finding it hard to concentrate on his home Grand Slam after the emotions sparked by the fires that have devastated huge tracts of Australia.
But he rose to the challenge and the 23rd seed did so in largely drama-free fashion, keeping himself calm for most of the match.
"I was definitely really nervous walking out there. But, I mean, the crowd was unbelievable. I got comfortable quite early in the match," he said.
"I'm just playing for a lot more than myself. I've said it before... there's not necessarily added pressure. I feel like I'm playing for a lot of people."
Kyrgios was a driving force in drumming up fundraising efforts for the bushfire recovery, including a 'Rally for Relief' exhibition match which collected more than Aus$5.0 million (US$3.4 million).
The controversial figure, who was handed a 16-week suspended ban in September after a series of outbursts, said the whole experience had given him pause for thought.
"I guess it's just a perspective thing, isn't it?" he said. "Why am I really getting mad on the tennis court with everything going on?
"I felt like I was very focused today. Every match I've played this year, I've been pretty good. It's probably because of everything going on."
Kyrgios and Sonego were locked at 2-2 in the first set before the Australian claimed a first break and then motored through his next service game, dropping one point on Sonego's next serve to open a 5-2 lead before sealing the set.
They were inseparable in the second set as the lights on Melbourne Arena briefly went out, with coachless Kyrgios heard saying: "You know how hard it is to block that out, it's impossible."
But with ATP Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt watching from his box, he came through a tense tie-breaker to go two sets ahead.
Displaying all his tricks, including some trademark "tweeners", Kyrgios closed out the match in another testing tiebreaker as the crowd went wild, with a second round clash looming against either France's Gilles Simon or Uruguay's Pablo Cuevas.
With Kyrgios not facing a single break point, television commentator John McEnroe lavished praise on his booming serve -- and also pledged Aus$1,000 to the bushfire fund for every set the Australian wins.
"He has actually got one of the best serves I've ever seen," said the tennis legend. "Top 10, ever. He has got pop. He can do anything with it."
MEDVEDEV MARCHES INTO ROUND 2
Towering fourth seed Daniil Medvedev navigated a challenging first-round clash against last year's quarter-finalist Frances Tiafoe to kickstart his Australian Open campaign Tuesday.
The talented 23-year-old, who won four titles last year and was runner-up at the US Open, ultimately showed his class to outlast the American 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 on Rod Laver Arena.
It was a tough workout for the in-form Medvedev, who began his year strongly at the ATP Cup, winning four of his five singles matches, and is gunning for a maiden Grand Slam title.
"It was a really tough first match, it was up and down for both of us. A first round is never easy, especially against someone like Frances," said the 6ft 6in (198cm) Russian.
"There were many moments where I felt I had momentum, but he straightaway came back.
"I think I could do many things better, but it is a big win and I'm happy to be through."
It was always going to be a difficult assignment against Tiafoe, who was looking to repeat his glory run at the Australian Open last year.
Ranked 50, Tiafoe was broken twice to slip 4-1 behind in the first set with Medvedev's power proving too much, before he bounced back with a break and pressed hard for another.
But the Russian, who made the round of 16 last year, losing to eventual champion Novak Djokovic, produced some sizzling passing shots and deft drops to take the set.
They went game-for-game in the second set until Tiafoe broke in a decisive ninth game and levelled at one set all as he lifted to another level.
Another tight set followed before a loose service game from the American gave Medvedev a two-sets-to-one lead, sealing it with another impressive drop shot.
The Russian scored a crucial break on Tiafoe's opening serve in set four and the American, who threw his racquet to the ground in frustration, was unable to recover.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Can Coronavirus Threaten China’s Position As An Economic Superpower? | Crux +
- Coronavirus And Superspreaders: Humans Can Carry And Transmit COVID-19 Without Symptoms
- Netflix is Now Listing Top 10 Most Viewed Movies And TV Shows in India
- Go Air Offering Discounted Flight Tickets at Just Rs 957, International Airfare at Rs 5,295
- Poco X2 Going on Sale Today India: Price, Offers, Specs and More