Australian Open: Prajnesh Gunneswaran Progresses But Ramkumar Ramanathan, Ankita Raina Ousted from Qualifiers
Prajnesh Gunneswaran advanced to the second round of the Australian Open qualifiers, but it was curtains for Ramkumar Ramanathan and Ankita Raina.
Prajnesh Gunneswaran, Ankita Raina, Ramkumar Ramanathan (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Melbourne: Prajnesh Gunneswaran advanced to the second round of the Australian Open qualifiers but Ramkumar Ramanathan frittered away a one-set advantage to make an exit, here Tuesday.
Prajnesh knocked out local wild card Harry Bourchier 6-2 6-4 to set up second round clash with Germany's Yannick Hanfmann.
Ramkumar led against 15th seed Argentine before losing steam to suffer a 6-4 4-6 1-6 defeat to yet again collapse in the Qualifiers of a Grand Slam.
Prajnesh had last year competed in main draws of all four majors of the season.
Sumit Nagal, who enjoyed a breakthrough 2019 season, will open his campaign in the qualifiers against Egypt's Mohamed Safwat.
In the women's qualifiers, India's lone contender Ankita Raina went down fighting 2-6 6-7(2) against Bulgaria's Viktoriya Tomova.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- This Instagrammer Is Photoshopping a Godzilla Into all Of His Travel Photos
- Kai Po Che? Kite Strings in Gujarat Have Killed Over 150 Birds
- Scientists Are Trying to Find Survivors of Endangered Species in Australian Bushfires
- FASTags Have Actually Increased Waiting Times at Toll Plazas; Be Prepared For Delays
- Good News For WhatsApp Users as Facebook Backs Down on Adverts, But There is a Catch