Austrian Dominic Thiem Takes Rio Open in Straight Sets
Austrian Dominic Thiem secured his eighth ATP title with a 7-5 6-4 win over Pablo Carreno Busta in the final of the Rio Open on Sunday.
Dominic Thiem lifts the Rio Open trophy (AP Photo)
Rio de Janeiro: Austrian Dominic Thiem secured his eighth ATP title with a 7-5 6-4 win over Pablo Carreno Busta in the final of the Rio Open on Sunday.
Second seed Thiem, who became the favourite after top seed Kei Nishikori was knocked out in the first round, did not lose a set the entire tournament.
Thiem, 23, came through at crucial moments in the final, breaking in the final game of both sets after he and Carreno Busta had exchanged an earlier break.
World number eight Thiem retained his perfect career record against the Spaniard, improving to 4-0.
The result prevented Carreno Busta from adding a singles title to the doubles he won with Pablo Cuevas on Saturday.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Amy Jackson Blessed with a Baby Boy, Actress Shares Adorable Family Picture
- KTM 790 Duke Launched in India at Rs 8.64 Lakh
- Apple iPhone 11 Preorders Are Already Sold Out on Amazon And Flipkart
- An Apple Watch Saved This Man’s Life by Calling For Help After a Bad Fall
- Horrifying Video Shows Snake Latching onto Man's Head After He Taunts It