Badminton Asia Championships: Lee Chong Wei Suffers Shock Defeat
Lee Chong Wei suffered a shock defeat in the Asia Championships semi-finals on Saturday, the Malaysian great going down in straight sets to rising Japanese star Kento Momota
Lee Chong Wei. (Getty Images)
Shanghai: Lee Chong Wei suffered a shock defeat in the Asia Championships semi-finals on Saturday, the Malaysian great going down in straight sets to rising Japanese star Kento Momota.
The 35-year-old Lee, fresh from winning Commonwealth Games gold and reaching the end of one of badminton's great careers, lost 21-19, 21-14 to the unseeded Momota.
The 23-year-old Momota will play China's Rio 2016 Olympic champion Chen Long in Sunday's final in the Chinese city of Wuhan.
Chen, the third seed, was an emphatic 21-16, 21-18 winner over India's unseeded H.S. Prannoy in the other semi-final.
In the women's draw, top seed Tai Tzu-ying of Taiwan will play China's Chen Yufei in the final.
Tai defeated India's former world number one Saina Nehwal 27-25, 21-19 in a tight affair over 45 nervy minutes, ensuring a miserable day for India.
Home player Chen, the sixth seed, was a comfortable 21-12, 21-13 victor over the South Korean seventh seed Sung Ji-hyun in the other semi-final clash.
Recommended For You
- Kia Seltos Launch LIVE: Updates, Unveil, Features and More
- Ranveer Singh Gets Legal Notice from WWE Wrestler Brock Lesnar's Advocate Paul Heyman
- Avengers Endgame Re-releasing in Theatres With New Post Credit Scene and 'Extra Surprises'
- Varun Dhawan, Dhanush Express Sadness After Shikhar Dhawan Ruled Out of ICC World Cup 2019
- Copa America: Lionel Messi Penalty Helps Argentina Earn Draw with Paraguay
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s