News18»Sports
2-MIN READ

Bairstow, Wood Lose England Test Contracts; Pay Cuts Likely

England's Jonny Bairstow, right, celebrates scoring a century during the third ODI cricket match between England and Australia, at Old Trafford in Manchester, England, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2020. (Shaun Botterill/Pool via AP)

England's Jonny Bairstow, right, celebrates scoring a century during the third ODI cricket match between England and Australia, at Old Trafford in Manchester, England, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2020. (Shaun Botterill/Pool via AP)

Jonny Bairstow and Mark Wood lost their test contracts with England on Wednesday as the countrys players from all formats prepared for pay cuts over the next year because of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

LONDON: Jonny Bairstow and Mark Wood lost their test contracts with England on Wednesday as the countrys players from all formats prepared for pay cuts over the next year because of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The 31-year-old Bairstow, a wicket-keeper-batsman, has appeared in only one of Englands 12 tests since last years Ashes and wasnt part of the red-ball squad for series against the West Indies and Pakistan this year. Wood was, but only played in one of the six tests and looks to be behind James Anderson, Stuart Broad, Chris Woakes and Jofra Archer in the fast-bowling pecking order.

Hes taken it as well as you could expect and I mean that genuinely, Ashley Giles, Englands director of mens cricket, said about Bairstow, who has played 70 tests and scored more than 4,000 runs.

Its hard news to hear, especially as someone whos played so much cricket for England across all forms. Its a knock for him, Im sure. But I think he truly still does have a desire to go on and play test cricket.

Bairstow and Wood are mainstays in the limited-overs teams they were members of Englands World Cup-winning line-up last year so they retained their white-ball contracts.

Ollie Pope, Zak Crawley and Dom Sibley have all had breakthrough performances over the previous year and were rewarded with test contracts for the first time for the next 12 months.

But, with the England and Wales Cricket Board estimating initial losses of 100 million pounds ($127 million) because of COVID-19 restrictions such as matches in empty stadiums and having recently announced imminent job losses, the value of the contracts has been reduced.

During lockdown, contracted players came up with a voluntary donation to support the national game and that looks likely to evolve into a reduction on annual packages that were reported to have been worth 650,000 pounds ($830,000) for test players and 275,000 pounds ($350,000) for limited-overs players in 2019-20.

Although the players have been in a bubble for the majority of the summer, they are not blind to the reality of what is going on in the world, Giles said. The players have done a huge amount this summer, saving a lot of money for cricket across the board and, in some aspects, keeping the lights on across the country in cricket.

But we are mature and realistic about what is going on and revenues are likely to be less in future and that has impact on everyone I cant over-emphasize that the players are aware of what is going on and that there is a part to play for them.

After staging a full mens international program despite the COVID-19 restrictions, England has no matches arranged for the winter given the global uncertainty.

Giles, however, is confident that series against South Africa, India and Sri Lanka can all take place.

We are in constant dialogue with teams around the world and we are confident all this cricket will happen, but we have to remain flexible and agile, he said. If we dont play any cricket at all in the next 12 months then the impact is huge. It doesnt matter what contract you have, for any one of us, if there is no income they are not worth the paper theyre written on.

___

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports


Next Story
Loading...