Champions League: We Collapsed, No Excuses, Says Arsenal Manager Arsene Wenger
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admitted his side had "collapsed mentally" in their 5-1 Champions League rout by Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
Arsene Wenger. (Getty Images)
Munich: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admitted his side had "collapsed mentally" in their 5-1 Champions League rout by Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
The under-pressure Frenchman said there were no excuses as the Gunners faced a seventh successive last-16 exit after the latest mauling.
"We conceded the second goal and then the most important thing was that we lost Laurent Koscielny (to injury). We collapsed mentally," said Wenger who will face fresh calls for his resignation.
"I am not looking for excuses. Overall I must say they were a better team than us, they played very well in the second half and we dropped our level.
"They were better than us, well done to Bayern.
"Their third goal was a killer -- we had no response."
Arjen Robben opened the scoring after just 11 minutes at the Allianz Arena when the Dutchman beat Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina with a fine left-foot strike into the top corner.
Chile international Alexis Sanchez levelled for Arsenal on the half-hour, hitting in a rebound at the second attempt after he had a controversial penalty saved by Manuel Neuer.
But Robert Lewandowski restored the German side's lead after 53 minutes, heading in a cross from Philipp Lahm with Thiago Alcantara adding a third just three minutes later.
Thiago piled on the misery for Arsene Wenger's men with his second and Bayern's fourth just after the hour with substitute Thomas Mueller adding a fifth two minutes from time.
Recommended For You
- Once Upon A Time in Hollywood Trailer: Leonardo DiCaprio-Brad Pitt Light Up the Screen
- Hey Siri, New Apple AirPods Are Priced From Rs 14,900; H1 Chip And Longer Battery Life On Board
- 'Apna Paisa Aayega': Nirav Modi's Arrest in London Brings Cheer on Social Media
- Stranger Things Season 3 Trailer: Check Out the New Characters And Terrors of Hawkins
- Call of Duty Mobile to Launch in Coming Months, Could be a Potential Threat to PUBG Mobile: Watch Video
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s