China Open: World No.2 Karolina Pliskova Stunned by Jelena Ostapenko in First Round
China Open 2019: Jelena Ostapenko beat Karolina Pliskova despite serving up 25 double faults.
Jelena Ostapenko is currently ranked 74th in the world. (Photo Credit: @WTA)
Beijing: The 2017 French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko dumped world number two Karolina Pliskova out in the first round of the China Open on Saturday despite racking up 25 double faults.
The 22-year-old Latvian emerged after nearly two-and-a-half gruelling hours in Beijing, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5.
Ostapenko has suffered a dramatic loss of form since her French Open heroics and now languishes 74th in the world.
Both players struggled badly on their serves, in a wildly unpredictable match.
The Czech Pliskova, 27, had been chasing a fifth title this year.
Ostapenko faces Katerina Siniakova, also of the Czech Republic, in the next round in the Chinese capital.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 19 Written Update: Rashami Desai Reveals She had Issues with Sidharth Shukla
- Rafael Nadal Gets Married to His Partner of 14 Years Xisco Perello
- Rhea Chakraborty Visits Blue Grotto Cave in Italy on Trip with Sushant Singh Rajput, Watch Video
- Disha Patani and Tiger Shroff Add Star Power to ISL 2019-20 Opening Ceremony
- 'Only Lionel Messi' Thread on Twitter Proves Why He is the Best in Football