Cincinnati Open: Nishikori Shocked by Countryman Nishioka, Halep Fights Off Alexandrova
Cincinnati Open 2019: Kei Nishikori lost to Yoshihito Nishioka in the second round while Simona Halep came from behind to beat Ekaterina Alexandrova.
Kei Nishikori and Simona Halep had contrasting fortunes at Cincinnati Open on Wednesday. (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Cincinnati: Kei Nishikori lost to fellow Japanese Yoshihito Nishioka 7-6 (2), 6-4 on Wednesday in the second round of the ATP Cincinnati Masters.
The sixth seed went down to his 77th-ranked compatriot, who came through qualifying, in just over 90 minutes.
Nishikori has never advanced beyond the third round at the US Open warm-up event.
Simona Halep fought back from a set down to defeat Russia's Ekaterina Alexandrova 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 in her Cincinnati WTA opener on Wednesday.
Wimbledon champion Halep, seeded four, earned a late break in the penultimate game of the final set to reach the third round after two hours of action.
Halep has finished runner-up in Cincinnati three times, last reaching the final a year ago against Kiki Bertens.
In the next round, the 27-year-old Romanian, who retired injured from her Toronto quarter-final against Czech qualifier Marie Bouzkova last week, will next face either Madison Keys of the United States or Russia's Daria Kasatkina.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Watch Video: Virat Kohli Spotted Driving His New Audi Q8 SUV For the First Time
- FASTags Have Actually Increased Waiting Times at Toll Plazas; Be Prepared For Delays
- Apple Acquires Xnor.ai, an Edge-based AI Startup, for $200 Million
- 13-Year-Old's Emotional Speech about Father Who Died in Iran Plane Crash Will Break Your Heart
- ATK and Mohun Bagan Merger is Complete: RPSG Group Acquires Majority Stake in Mohun Bagan