CWG 2018: Manoj Kumar, Naman Tanwar Advance as India Start Well in Boxing
Indian boxer Naman Tanwar on Friday advanced to the heavyweight (91kg) quarterfinals after notching up a comprehensive win in his opening bout of the Commonwealth Games here.
Boxer Manoj Kumar. (Getty Images)
Gold Coast: Indian boxer Naman Tanwar on Friday advanced to the heavyweight (91kg) quarterfinals after notching up a comprehensive win in his opening bout of the Commonwealth Games here.
Tanwar defeated Tanzania's Haruna Mhando in a lopsided unanimous verdict to make the last-eight stage.
The 19-year-old Tanwar, making his debut at the Games, is a bronze-medallist from the World Youth Championships.
He had defeated reigning Asian silver-medallist Sumit Sangwan in the trials to make the squad.
Earlier, 2010 CWG gold-medallist Manoj Kumar had won his opening bout to enter the pre-quarterfinals of the welterweight 69kg category
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- On J Jayalalithaa's Birth Anniversary, Kangana Ranaut's New Thalaivi Still Goes Viral
- Realme X50 Pro 5G Goes on Sale From Rs 37,999 And is The First 5G Phone in India
- Poco X2 Will Get The Android 11 Update; You Have Something to Look Forward to
- 'I've Got to be a Macho Man': The Song That Played at Motera Stadium to Welcome Trump and Modi
- The Samsung Galaxy A71 is Now on Sale For Rs 29,999; Prism Crush Blue Looks Quite Cool