Daniil Medvedev Continues Scintillating Form, Beats Fognini to Reach Shanghai Masters Quarters
Shanghai Masters 2019: Daniil Medvedev beat Fabio Fognini 6-3, 7-6 (4) to enter the semi-finals.
Daniil Medvedev is looking for his fourth title this year. (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Shanghai: Daniil Medvedev tamed self-styled "wild horse" Fabio Fognini 6-3, 7-6 (4) to canter into the Shanghai Masters semi-finals on Friday.
The in-form Russian world number four plays top-ranked Novak Djokovic or young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas on Saturday in the last four.
Italy's Fognini, 12th in the world, was broken in the sixth game of the first set when he double-faulted.
The second set went to the tie break and despite Fognini taking a 2-0 lead, Medvedev pulled back in front with his serve a major weapon.
The 23-year-old sent down 12 aces to Fognini's three in the match.
Medvedev is in scintillating form, having reached a staggering eight finals this year including at the US Open. He was beaten at Flushing Meadows by Rafael Nadal in five sets.
Medvedev is chasing a fourth title in his breakthrough season.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- On J Jayalalithaa's Birth Anniversary, Kangana Ranaut's New Thalaivi Still Goes Viral
- 'Is it a Karate Suit?' Melania's India Visit Outfit and Trump's Yellow Tie Grab Eyes on Twitter
- Sudarsan Pattnaik Welcomes Donald Trump, First Lady Melania to India With Sand Art
- Desi Cricket Fans Roast Team India With Brutal Memes After Crushing Defeat Against New Zealand
- Is The Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha Coming to India Soon? This is The Biggest Hint Yet That it is