Monte Carlo Masters: David Goffin Edges Novak Djokovic, To Meet Nadal In Semis
David Goffin proved too hot to handle for Novak Djokovic as the Belgian 10th seed reached the Monte Carlo Masters semi-finals with a thrilling 6-2 3-6 7-5 victory on Friday.
Image Credit: Getty Images.
Monte Carlo: David Goffin proved too hot to handle for Novak Djokovic as the Belgian 10th seed reached the Monte Carlo Masters semi-finals with a thrilling 6-2 3-6 7-5 victory on Friday.
Former world number one Djokovic saved four match points but cracked under his opponent's tremendous pressure on the fifth as Goffin set up a last-four meeting with claycourt king Rafa Nadal who beat Argentine Diego Schwartzman 6-4 6-4.
Earlier, Spanish claycourt specialist Albert Ramos followed up his victory over world number one Andy Murraywith a 6-2 6-7 (5) 6-2 defeat of Croatian fifth seed Marin Cilic.
France's Lucas Pouille made a fast start before being made to work harder by Uruguay's Pablo Cuevas, eventually winning 6-0 3-6 7-5.
In the first European claycourt tournament of the season, Serbian second seed Djokovic was overwhelmed in a one-sided opening set before playing more patiently in the second, but Goffin put on a gritty display in the decider.
In the 12th game, Goffin opened a 40-15 lead on Djokovic's serve but the 12-times grand slam champion saved four match points before netting a forehand to lose to the Belgian for the first time in six meetings.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli Receives the Prestigious Khel Ratna Award
- Style Look Book: Top Fashion Statements of The Week By Your Bollywood Divas
- Google is Making a Lot of Changes to How Search Works, And AI is at The Core of it
- Donald Trump’s New U.S. Presidential Limousine is Worth Rs 12 Crore, Spotted for the 1st Time – Video
- PUBG Returns to The Top of PC Game Download Charts on Steam