Davis Cup: Drawing Canada Presents India a Golden Chance, Says Anand Amritraj
Former Davis Cup captain Anand Amritraj believes drawing Canada in the play-offs presents India a golden chance to make it to the World Group in next year's tournament.
Anand Amritraj. (Getty Images)
Chennai: Former Davis Cup captain Anand Amritraj believes drawing Canada in the play-offs presents India a golden chance to make it to the World Group in next year's tournament.
The Indian team beat Uzbekistan in Asia-Ocenia zonal match in Bengaluru recently and was drawn to meet Canada for a spot in the elite group of the 2018 Davis Cup.
Speaking at the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association annual day function here yesterday, Amritraj said in his opinion Canada was the best team to draw from among the eight which had lost in the first round of this year's competition.
"This is our golden chance. If we are going to get into the World Group, this is the year we have to do it," he said.
Amritraj said if Canada didn't have its top player Milos Raonic playing, India stood a good chance of winning, the best in the last four years.
Raonic recently pulled out of the Miami Open after aggravating a right hamstring injury that sidelined him for nearly a month. He had earlier withdrawn from Canada's Davis Cup World Group tie against Britain after a nagging adductor injury flared up during his recent Australian Open run.
Meanwhile, Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan, who won the doubles title at the Aircel Chennai Open earlier this year along with Rohan Bopanna, was chosen for the T K Ramanathan annual award for 2016, for the best player of the year.
Recommended For You
- Sameera Reddy Shares First Pic of Her Newborn Daughter: We Prayed for Baby Girl and We're Blessed
- All Variants of The Apple iPhone XR Get Completely Sold Out on Day One of Amazon Prime Day Sale
- World Cup Final | Brutal for Kiwis to be Called Vanquished Without Being Beaten…Twice
- I'm Probably Most Hated Father in New Zealand - Stokes' Dad Reacts After Win
- Jofra Archer Had Predicted the Super Over Outcome in World Cup Final 6 Years Ago. Here's Proof.