Discus Thrower Krishna Poonia is Now an MLA in Rajasthan
Beginning a new innings, discus thrower Krishna Poonia, the 2010 CWG gold medallist, won the Sadulpur assembly seat in Rajasthan on Tuesday, defeating sitting BSP MLA Manoj Nyangali.
A file photo of Indian discus thrower Krishna Poonia. (Getty Images)
Rajasthan: Beginning a new innings, discus thrower Krishna Poonia, the 2010 CWG gold medallist, won the Sadulpur assembly seat in Rajasthan on Tuesday, defeating sitting BSP MLA Manoj Nyangali.
Contesting on a Congress ticket, Poonia won by a healthy margin of 18084 votes after receiving 70020 votes.
It was Poonia's second attempt to get entry in the state legislature, having suffered defeat in the previous elections.
The Congress won 101 seats in the house of 199 while the BJP won 73.
The 36-year-old athlete had hurled the disc to 61.51m to claim a gold medal at the Delhi Commonwealth Games. She had finished sixth at the 2012 London Olympics with her best throw of 63.62m, coming in the fifth attempt.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Shah Rukh Khan to Announce Two Films on His 54th Birthday?
- Mohena Kumari Singh is Radiant as a Royal Bride at Her Traditional Rajput Wedding, See Pics
- Google Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL to Launch Today: Here’s How to Watch the Live Stream
- WhatsApp Has Some New Features For iPhone Users And You Can Use Them Now
- Here's How WhatsApp Dark Mode, Self-Destructing Messages Will Work