Elena Vesnina Shocks World No. 1 Angelique Kerber at Indian Wells
Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Elena Vesnina. (Getty Images)
Indian Wells: Angelique Kerber won't celebrate her return to world number one with an Indian Wells title after a shock fourth-round exit Tuesday at the hands of Elena Vesnina.
Russia's 14th-seeded Vesnina toppled the second-seeded German 6-3, 6-3 to book a quarter-final meeting with seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams, a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 winner over Chinese qualifier Peng Shuai.
Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open and US Open champion, is still assured of returning to number one in the world next Monday thanks to Serena Williams's injury withdrawal from Indian Wells.
Recommended For You
- I Have Been Practising These Shots, Says Dinesh Karthik
- Rajummar Rao Models For Patralekhaa; See Picture
- Kangana Ranaut Talks About Nationalism, Nepotism & 'Psycho Love'
- Ranveer Singh Talks About Facing The Limelight, His Style Quotient And Padmaavat
- Zuckerberg Goes 007 Mode: Sets up 'Secret Police' to Find Information Leakers in Facebook