Elina Svitolina Downs Simona Halep to Win Italian Open Title
Ukraine's Elina Svitolina stunned Romanian favourite Simona Halep 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 to win the WTA event at the Rome Masters on Sunday.
Rome: Ukraine's Elina Svitolina continued her brilliant season with a clinical 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 upset win over injury-hit Simona Halep in the Italian Open final on Sunday.
Svitolina advanced to her maiden Rome final on Saturday when Spanish semi-final opponent Garbine Muguruza, the French Open champion, retired injured as she trailed 4-1 to the big-hitting Ukrainian.
But Svitolina, who ousted Czech second seed Karolina Pliskova in the quarter-finals, showed she was fully deserving of her spot, overcoming a tough first set against the sixth-seeded Romanian to level the match in a fiercely contested second set.
Halep, who won the Madrid Open last week, needed treatment after going over on her right ankle in the second set as she hit a return from the baseline.
In the decider, the Romanian -- who had won 26 of her past 30 meetings on clay -- was visibly hurting and was helpless to prevent Svitolina from claiming her fourth title of the season after wins in Taipei, Dubai and Istanbul.
Svitolina now has a tour-leading 31 match wins this year and takes over the lead from Pliskova in the Race to Singapore.
Recommended For You
- Xiaomi Mi 8 is Now Official; To Launch on May 31
- OnePlus 6 Review: The Amitabh Bachchan of Flagship Smartphones
- Kareena Kapoor Khan Sets Temperatures Soaring With Chic Fashion Choices During Veere Di Wedding Promotions
- Politician Jaya Jaitly Upset with Priyanka Chopra's 'British Aristocrat' Dress at the Royal Wedding
- Sachin Tendulkar Wants Sports Education and History as Compulsory Subject