F1 Set to Reintroduce Point For Fastest Lap
The fastest lap during a Formula 1 race will be rewarded with a point in this year's world championship if the plan passes a vote, the FIA told AFP on Friday.
Representative image. (Reuters)
Paris: The fastest lap during a Formula 1 race will be rewarded with a point in this year's world championship if the plan passes a vote, the FIA told AFP on Friday.
If a vote on Monday gives the plan the green light as expected, the new ruling will be in force from the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on March 17.
The driver who times the fastest lap will only get the extra point should he also finish inside the top 10.
A Grand Prix winner currently gets 25 points with 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 and one for the subsequent places.
Back in 1958, when only the top five finishers scored points but the fastest lap timer did too, Mike Hawthorn beat Stirling Moss to the title by a single point having twice won points for a fastest lap.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Kapil Sharma's Wife Ginni Chatrath Flaunts Baby Bump on Movie Outing
- Ira Khan Shares Romantic Pic With Boyfriend Mishaal, But Her Caption Spark Concern Among Netizens
- Woman Whose Rendition of Lata Mangeshkar Classic Went Viral Records Song for Himesh Reshammiya
- NASA’s Next Moon Landing Will be Powered by The Aitken Supercomputer Made by HP
- First Details of The OnePlus TV Confirmed: It Will Have a 55-Inch QLED Panel