Fabio Fognini Wins Sao Paulo, Dedicates Title to Tragic Davide Astori
Italy's Fabio Fognini clinched his sixth career title with a 1-6, 6-1, 6-4 win over Chile's Nicolas Jarry in the Sao Paulo final and dedicated his win to Fiorentina footballer Davide Astori who died earlier Sunday
Fabio Fognini. (Getty Images)
Italy's Fabio Fognini clinched his sixth career title with a 1-6, 6-1, 6-4 win over Chile's Nicolas Jarry in the Sao Paulo final and dedicated his win to Fiorentina footballer Davide Astori who died earlier Sunday.
"This trophy is for Davide Astori," said the 30-year-old Fognini at the presentation ceremony for the clay court tournament.
Astori, who played 14 times for Italy, was found dead in his hotel room in Udine in Italy on Sunday morning where his team had been due to play Udinese in Serie A.
Fognini, a semi-finalist in Rio last week, eventually had too much experience for the 22-year-old world number 73 Jarry who was making his maiden appearance in a final.
However, Jarry was a revelation in the first set which he took in just 22 minutes on the back of winning the first 13 points.
For Fognini, it was a first title since Gstaad last year with Sunday's win moving him up to 19 in the world rankings.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Rides Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 to Promote State Tourism
- Disha Vakani's Husband Mayur Pandya on Actress' Return to Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah
- Watch: Ducklings Enjoy Makeshift Water Slide Leaving Netizens Amused
- WhatsApp Has Some New Features For iPhone Users And You Can Use Them Now
- Android 10 Update Roll-Out Resumes For OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro