Born: Sept. 3, 1993 in Wiener Neustadt, Austria (age 27)
Grand Slam titles: 1 (US Open 2020)
* Born to Wolfgang and Karin Thiem, both of whom are tennis coaches, and began playing at the age of six.
* Made his ATP Tour debut in 2011 at Kitzbuehel as a wildcard, losing to Daniel Gimeno-Traver in the first round.
* Won his first main draw match later that year, against compatriot Thomas Muster at Vienna.
CAREER TO DATE
* Finished in the Top 125 for the first time in his career in 2013 after reaching the quarter-finals at Kitzbuhel and Vienna.
* Made his Grand Slam debut at the Australian Open in 2014, defeating Joao Sousa before losing to Kevin Anderson in the second round.
* Reached his first ATP Tour final later that year at Kitzbuehel – losing to David Goffin – and ended the year inside the top 50.
* Won his first ATP Tour title in Nice the following year and followed it up with titles in Umag and Gstaad, finishing as the youngest player in the top 20.
* Broke into the top 10 in 2016 after winning titles at Buenos Aires, Acapulco, Nice and Stuttgart, and qualified for the ATP Finals for the first time in his career.
* Advanced to his first Grand Slam final at Roland Garros in 2018, losing to Rafa Nadal.
* Won his maiden Masters 1000 crown the following year at Indian Wells, defeating Roger Federer in the final. Ended the season with five titles, joint-most with Novak Djokovic.
* Defeated by Nadal in the 2019 French Open final and by Djokovic in the Australian Open title clash in 2020.