Failing to Buy Tickets, Hockey Fans go on Rampage at Kalinga Stadium
Scores of hockey enthusiasts Thursday went on a rampage at the Kalinga Stadium here after they could not get tickets for the inaugural ceremony of the Men's Hockey World Cup to be held on November 27, police said.
Bhubaneswar: Scores of hockey enthusiasts Thursday went on a rampage at the Kalinga Stadium here after they could not get tickets for the inaugural ceremony of the Men's Hockey World Cup to be held on November 27, police said.
The incident took place at the ticket counter at gate number 9 of the stadium where people were waiting in long queues to get hold of the tickets since Wednesday.
They became furious when the counter did not open for hours. The mob then broke the barricade and ransacked the ticket counter, police officials said.
DCP Anup Sahoo said that the crowd was chased away.
Earlier, the sports and youth affairs department had announced that the tickets for the inaugural session would be sold from November 15.
The Men's Hockey World Cup will be held at the Kalinga Stadium from November 28 and conclude on December 16.
Sports and Youth Affairs Secretary Vishal Dev said that the tickets for the event, including the inaugural ceremony, will be available online alone.
A notification in this regard will be issued in a day or two, he added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Pati Patni Aur Woh Movie Review: Kartik-Bhumi-Ananya Promise Plenty Laughs
- Acting, Sex are Like Bread and Butter, Says Kartik Aaryan
- Hyderabad Encounter: Petition Filed in NHRC Seeking Autopsy of Bodies of the Rape Accused
- India vs West Indies | Our Responsibility is to Support Rishabh Pant: Virat Kohli
- 'Black Friday': Italian Newspaper Sparks Race Row With Front Page Headline on Lukaku, Smalling Clash