FIFA U-17 World Cup: Sports Minister Vijay Goel to Inspect Kochi Stadium
Sports Minister Vijay Goel will be visiting Kochi on Friday to take stock of the progress at the Jawaharlal Stadium, one of the six venues for hosting U-17 World Cup matches, and the training grounds.
Vijay Goel. (Getty Images)
New Delhi: Sports Minister Vijay Goel will be visiting Kochi on Friday to take stock of the progress at the Jawaharlal Stadium, one of the six venues for hosting U-17 World Cup matches, and the training grounds.
The Local Organising Committee of FIFA U-17 World Cup had earlier this month asserted that Kochi was on its way to complete preparation work by May 15, rubbishing speculations that the venue could be dropped.
The visit was necessitated due to some complaints of delay in preparation for hosting this prestigious event. After Kochi, he (Goel) will visit the other five venues, where World Cup matches will be played, for on-the-spot assessment of preparation," the sports ministry said in a statement.
It added, "During his visit, the minister will review the activities of SAI Centre at Kochi."
FIFA's inspection team had last month expressed deep concern over the pace of work at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, and set May 15 as deadline for completing work.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Cristiano Ronaldo Pleads Guilty to Tax Fraud at Madrid Court, Accepts Suspended Sentence
- Nissan Kicks Compact SUV Launched in India for Rs 9.55 Lakh, to Rival Hyundai Creta and Mahindra XUV300
- Daughter Riddhima Shares Throwback Photos on Rishi and Neetu Kapoor's 39th Wedding Anniversary
- Guinness World Records Makes a Man Eat Humble Pie After His Failed Pi Memorisation Record 'Attempt'
- Good News: Akshay Kumar-Kareena Kapoor Film Gets a New Release Date, Check Out
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s