Former Champion Petra Kvitova in a Hurry to Reach Round Two
Twice champion Petra Kvitova needed just 15 minutes to bulldoze through the first set against Romania's Sorana Cirstea at Wimbledon on Wednesday, taking the match 6-0 6-4.
Petra Kvitova (Picture Credit: Reuters)
London: Twice champion Petra Kvitova needed just 15 minutes to bulldoze through the first set against Romania's Sorana Cirstea at Wimbledon on Wednesday, taking the match 6-0 6-4.
The Czech 10th seed hopes to recapture the triumphs of 2011 and 2014 after losing in the third round last year and with the start of her 2016 season blighted by gastrointestinal illness.
She put up a commanding display, only losing three points behind her first serve and shooting seven aces against Cirstea, ranked 85th in the world.
"I'm glad about how I played today, how my serve worked today. I think she wasn't a really easy opponent on the grass to play in the first round," Kvitova told reporters.
"I think for fans it was little bit cold. It wasn't really great for them. I made it quick. So that's good," she said, smiling.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Amitabh Bachchan Posts His Bed-ridden Photograph, Says Body is Giving a Signal to Slow Down
- Bigg Boss 13 was Out of My Comfort Zone, Says Tehseen Poonawalla
- Robert Downey Jr Pays Tribute to Stan Lee While Accepting Male Movie Star Trophy at People's Choice Awards
- WhatsApp is Killing The Battery on Android Phones, OnePlus Phones Seem Worst Hit
- Tejashwi Yadav Celebrates Birthday in Chartered Plane, Draws Flak on Internet