Former Russia footballer Sergei Filippenkov dies during friendly match
Former Russia international, Sergei Filippenkov has died after collapsing on the field during a friendly game for ex-professional soccer players.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Moscow: A former Russia international has died after collapsing on the field during a friendly game for ex-professional soccer players.
Sergei Filippenkov, who made one appearance for Russia in a friendly against Brazil in 1998, was playing Thursday at Russian club Zenit Penza along with other former players. Filippenkov, who was 44, was the coach of the third-tier club.
Zenit say Filippenkov scored a goal before becoming ill five minutes before the end.
Filippenkov played for CSKA Moscow from 1998-2001, finishing second in the Russian league and reaching a Russian Cup final.
After taking his first head coaching job with Zenit Penza last year, Filippenkov built the team into a promotion contender.
Recommended For You
- Midnight Snack: This City Has the Most Bed Bugs in the US, Sleep Tight
- Ranveer Singh Simmba Co-star Siddharth Jadhav: I Knew About His Excitement for the Wedding
- Kohli, Rahul & Pant Cheer for Team India in Women's World T20
- Bangladesh Look Up to Friendly Neighbour India for Boxing Inspiration
- Facebook Suggests The Switch to Android From iPhones Was Purely on Merit, Not a Tiff With Tim Cook