Former South Asian Games Swimming Gold Medalist MB Balakrishnan Dies in Road Accident
Balakrishnan came under the wheels of the lorry after his vehicle skid and was killed on the spot, police said.
M.B. Balakrishnan had represented the country in the Commonwealth and Asian Games.
Chennai: Former South Asian Games swimming gold medalist MB Balakrishnan died in a road accident here, police said Wednesday.
The 29-year old former 50m national record holder was on his way home Tuesday night on a two-wheeler from Koyambedu with his friend riding pillion when the vehicle hit a lorry and he lost control.
Balakrishnan, who was riding the two-wheeler, came under the wheels of the lorry after his vehicle skid and was killed on the spot, police said.
Balakrishnan, an alumnus of the Guindy Engineering College here, pursued his higher education in the US and was working there. He had come to Chennai few days ago.
He won a gold in the National Games at Guwahati in 2007 and later rewrote the 50m backstroke national record in July 2010 at the Senior National championships in New Delhi.
He won the 100m and 200m backstroke events at the South Asian Games the same year.
Balakrishnan's coach T Chandrasekaran said he was shocked to learn about the death.
"He was a role model for swimmers in the state and could have gone on to win bigger laurels," Chandrasekaran added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Plumber's Re 0 Invoice for 91-Year-Old Ill Woman Earns Him Praises on Internet
- Zareen Khan Recounts Casting Couch Horror, Says Director Asked Her to 'Rehearse Kissing Scene'
- OnePlus 7T With Round Triple-Camera Module Revealed in Official Press Image
- Here is How Much The Apple iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro And iPhone 11 Pro Max Will Cost
- Champions League: Unlucky Borussia Dortmund Draw 0-0 With Barcelona on Messi Return