French Open: Purav-Divij Enter Pre-quarters, Paes Exits Men's Doubles
The Indian pair of Purav Raja and Divij Sharan advanced to the pre-quarterfinals after an upset win but their senior compatriot Leander Paes made an exit in the men's doubles of the French Open here on Friday.
Divij Sharan in action. (Getty Images)
Paris: The Indian pair of Purav Raja and Divij Sharan advanced to the pre-quarterfinals after an upset win but their senior compatriot Leander Paes made an exit in the men's doubles of the French Open here on Friday.
The unseeded Raja and Sharan upstaged the 15th-seeded Austrian-Croat combo of Oliver Marach and Mate Pavic 6-4 3 -6 6-4 in a second-round match that lasted two hours and 11 minutes to enter the men's doubles pre-quarterfinals.
The duo will next face the 11th seeded team of Jean- Julien Rojer of The Netherlands and Romania's Horia Tecau.
The young Indian pair sent down five aces and also converted two of the five break point chances that came their way.
Oliver and Mate paid the price for failing to convert the six break point opportunities.
In another second round match, Paes and his American partner Scott Lipsky lost 6-7 2-6 to crash out of the tournament.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Xiaomi Mi TV 4X 65-inch Launched Alongside Mi TV 4X 50-inch, 4X 43-inch and 4A 40-inch
- Xiaomi Mi Band Launched in India at Rs 2,299, First Sale on September 19
- Tamil Nadu's New EV Policy Seeks Full Road Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles Until 2022
- Mi Smart Water Purifier Launched in India at Rs 11,999: Here's How it Works
- 'Caught in the Moment': Virat Kohli Credits Contemplative Pic to Wife Anushka Sharma