G Sathiyan Shocks World Number 16 Freitas, Moves to Pre-quarters of Austrian Open
Star Indian paddler G Sathiyan knocked out world number 16 Marcos Freitas after a gripping battle to move to the pre-quarterfinals of the ITTF Austrian Open in Linz.
Twitter/ Indian Sports News
New Delhi: Star Indian paddler G Sathiyan knocked out world number 16 Marcos Freitas after a gripping battle to move to the pre-quarterfinals of the ITTF Austrian Open in Linz.
Ranked 35 in the world and lone Indian in the main draw, Sathiyan had to play out of his skin to down Freitas 4-3 in the elite Platinum tournament.
The Indian lost the first game 4-11 but fought back in his usual aggressive way, winning the next games 11-9, 11-9.
But the Portuguese was not ready to give up, clawing his way back into the contest by clinching the next two games 11-8, 11-6.
A valiant Sathiyan managed to level the match 3-3, battling to a 11-9 victory. With everything to play for in the decider, he showed great temperament to race to a 11-7 win for a sensational victory.
"It was a wonderful victory and I am very satisfied with the way I performed today. I just hope to continue my streak and go as deep as possible in the tournament," Sathiyan said after the match.
He next plays China's World No. 2 Xu Xin for a place in the quarterfinals.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Mardaani 2 and Jumanji The Next Level Box Office Day 1: Hollywood Film Leads
- Football in Snow: Watch Real Kashmir FC Players Practice for I-League in Srinagar
- Neymar Hits FC Barcelona With Fresh Lawsuit to Demand Unpaid Wages
- PUBG Mobile Addiction: 20-Year-Old Drinks Chemical Instead of Water While Playing Game
- Airtel Users Can Make Voice Calls on Wi-Fi But You Need Airtel Xstream Broadband