Germany Sack Women's Football Coach Steffi Jones
Germany have sacked national women's coach Steffi Jones after a string of poor performances in the SheBelieves Cup in the United States.
Steffi Jones (Reuters)
Berlin: Germany have sacked national women's coach Steffi Jones after a string of poor performances in the SheBelieves Cup in the United States.
The two-time world champions finished last at the meeting of the world's top women's teams with a single point from three matches.
Horst Hrubesch, who won the 1980 European title as a player with West Germany and led the men's Olympic team to the final at the 2016 Rio Games, will take over until a full-time replacement is appointed.
Jones, a dual German-American citizen, played 111 times for her country but her appointment in 2016 was criticised because she had little previous coaching experience.
Under her leadership, Germany came up short at Euro 2017, crashing out in the quarter-finals.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Couldn't Have Dreamt the Blessings God Showered on Me: Kohli
- Suhana Khan's Brother Aryan Parties with Ananya Panday and Friends, See Pics
- Anushka Sharma's Gorgeous 'Sun-kissed' Pic Gets Most Romantic Comment from Virat Kohli
- Maruti Suzuki Can't Afford to Discontinue Diesel Cars in India – Here’s Why
- Reebok CrossFit Nano 9.0 Review: Slickest Evolution of Versatile Fitness Shoes