Australian Open 2017: Grigor Dimitrov Easily Tames Richard Gasquet to Reach Last 16
Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov produced a brilliant display to end Richard Gasquet's promising Australian Open campaign with a 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 victory in the third round on Saturday.
Grigor Dimitrov. (Getty Images)
Melbourne: Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov produced a brilliant display to end Richard Gasquet's promising Australian Open campaign with a 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 victory in the third round on Saturday.
Dimitrov, who ended a 2-1/2 year trophy drought by winning the Brisbane International title in the run up to the season's opening grand slam, appeared to be in a hurry to get off court after the players were kept waiting until almost midnight to start the match.
He broke early in every set and the 18th-seeded Frenchman, who had lost only 13 games in his two previous matches, bowed out after two hours and two minutes of action on a sparsely populated Rod Laver Arena.
The 15th seed, who hit 48 winners, leapt high into the air as he celebrated sealing only his second win in seven meetings over Gasquet.
Dimitrov will next face six-times champion Novak Djokovic's conqueror, Denis Istomin, for a place in the last eight.
Recommended For You
- Beyonce Sets the Stage on Fire at Isha Ambani-Anand Piramal's Pre-Wedding Bash; Pics
- Mowgli Movie Review: Netflix's Version of Rudyard Kipling's Book is Dull
- #SeduceMeIn4Words: This Hashtag Has Got Twitter Looking Out for Mr or Ms Write
- Top 5 Android Phones Under Rs 20,000 to Play PUBG: Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro, Poco F1 And More
- Xiaomi Poco F1 Gets Permanent Price Cut of Rs 1,000; Now Starts at Rs 19,999
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s