Indian Boxer Shyam Kumar Wins Gold At Thailand International
Indian boxer K Shyam Kumar (49kg) clinched a gold medal at the Thailand International Tournament in Bangkok without even stepping inside the ring for his summit clash on Saturday.
Image credit: Getty Images.
New Delhi: Indian boxer K Shyam Kumar (49kg) clinched a gold medal at the Thailand International Tournament in Bangkok without even stepping inside the ring for his summit clash on Saturday.
Shyam, who won a gold at the 2015 edition of the event, was to take on Olympic champion Hasanboy Dusmatov of Uzbekistan in the final.
However, Dusmatov pulled out of the bout owing to an injury, giving the Indian his second gold medal at the event.
Earlier, Rohit Tokas (64kg) had lost in the semi-finals to settle for bronze medal. Incidentally, Rohit had won a bronze medal in the 2015 edition as well. India thus finished the tournament with two medals.
The country had sent a seven-strong team for the event, of which four boxers lost in the opening round.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Sophie Turner Joins Joe Jonas in NYC as Jonas Brothers Take a Day Off from Their Tour
- Doing a Bamboozle: Meet Astro, the Robodog 'Inspired' by the Human Brain
- Keanu Reeves, Carrie Anne-Moss Are Officially Returning for Matrix 4, And Fans Can't Keep Calm
- Will You Have to Link Your Aadhaar With Facebook, WhatsApp And Twitter Accounts?
- Xiaomi Mi A3 Android One Phone With 48-Megapixel Triple Camera Launched: Price, Features and More